Oscars 2019 ceremony to go without host after row

Oscars 2019 ceremony to go without host after row

Oscars 2019 ceremony to go without host after row

Karey Burke told television reporters that the telecast would have "a pretty exciting opening" even without a host.

He said he did not want to be a distraction and that he was "sorry he had hurt people".

The Oscars ceremony has gone without a host only once before in its 91-year history, in 1989.

In response to a fan on Twitter, the actor explained that he was the Academy's first choice to host the show this year, but due to filming commitments for his upcoming "Jumanji" sequel, he was unable to follow through with the gig.

Reports had been swirling for weeks that the Oscars wouldn't have a host for its February 24 ceremony, as Burke affirmed in her remarks Tuesday.

"There wasn't messiness beyond the Kevin Hart situation".

Hart dropped out amid criticism over years-old homophobic tweets, for which he eventually apologized. "We all got on board with that". "Producers wisely chose to not have a host and to go back to having the presenters and movies be the stars, and that be the best way to keep the show at a brisk three hours". The main goal, which I was told, was the Academy promised ABC a year ago after a very lengthy telecast to keep the show to three hours.

For all those who don't know, while the previous two Oscars were hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, 2005 and 2016 Oscar ceremonies were emceed by comedian Chris Rock, and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres hosted in 2007 and 2014. "Ironically, I have found that the lack of clarity around the Oscars has kept them in the conversation", she contended.

She added that speculation over the shape of the ceremony was an encouraging sign that the Oscars were still relevant.

"I think we are going to see a big turnout for this because these are big popular movies that have been nominated", she said.

The 2019 Oscars air Sunday, Feb. 24 at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT on ABC.

Related news