Saudi Arabian sisters found duct-taped together in NY's Hudson River

Saudi Arabian sisters found duct-taped together in NY's Hudson River

Saudi Arabian sisters found duct-taped together in NY's Hudson River

New York City detectives have conducted various interviews in Virginia where two sisters from Saudi Arabia were living before their bodies, bound together with duct tape, were found floating along the Hudson River last week.

The Hudson River separates NY from New Jersey, and police were scouring the river banks to see if they can establish where the sisters entered the water. Rotana Farea was 22.

The mother of the sisters, Rotana Farea (22) and Tala Farea (16), lives in Fairfax, Virginia. They were found with "no obvious signs of trauma", and were pronounced dead at the scene, according to New York City Police.

The statement said that the case was still under investigation and a forensic report stating the cause of the death hadn't been issued as yet.

The sisters were Saudi citizens and students who were accompanying their brother in Washington, the Royal Consulate General of Saudi Arabia in NY said Tuesday in a statement.

"We've made significant progress in piecing together the pieces of this puzzle to find out what happened", said Shea at an unrelated press briefing.

Saudi Arabia's consulate general in NY did not comment on the Times report directly. Such questions were re-directed to the Saudi Embassy.

The Saudi embassy in Washington declined to comment on the reports.

Saudi Arabia has recently come under fire for the murder of US permanent resident Jamal Khashoggi.

The sisters came to the US from Saudi Arabia with their mother in 2015.

According to the New York Times, their mother had been notified her daughters had sought asylum in the USA earlier this month. [T] his would be the logical conclusion to that.

In a statement released to the public on Tuesday afternoon, the Saudi Consulate General said that embassy officials had reached out to the Farea family and "extended its support and aid in this trying time".

It added that the they had also appointed a lawyer to "follow up the legal process of the case and will clarify the most important developments as soon as they are received". No response from USA officials was forthcoming at the time of publication.

Police said the sisters left their family home and were placed in a shelter after an earlier disappearance, in December 2017.

Related news