Conor McGregor Posted Photo Revealing Damage Done To His Face By Khabib

Conor McGregor Posted Photo Revealing Damage Done To His Face By Khabib

Conor McGregor Posted Photo Revealing Damage Done To His Face By Khabib

Just a quick scan through social media feeds and Youtube videos would be enough to indicate the enormity of Conor McGregor's return to the octagon to challenge UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov on Saturday in Las Vegas, but White had said early on that the UFC 229 event was expected to do more than 2 million PPV buys.

Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov had a very fierce and bitter personal rivalry but it was expected to end in the octagon, not outside of it. Meanwhile, men thought to be members of the Russian's team entered the octagon and attacked McGregor. McGregor attempted to go over the fence as well but was restrained by security.

Footage has now emerged of vicious fighting outside the arena.

Read all of Business Insider's UFC 229 coverage here.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission did not immediately respond to FOX Business' request for further comment on the situation.

But should he be stripped of the title and be handed a lengthy suspension, his options would no doubt be limited, with White refusing to answer whether he would entertain the idea of working around a suspension to accommodate Khabib - at least initially.

It comes a day after he wrote: "Good knock". McGregor tweeted after the fight that he was "looking forward to the rematch", too.

The build up and aftermath of the fight was dominated by McGregor and Khabib's rivalry and disgusting behaviour but on Saturday night it was an excellent and compelling fight and it's a shame it won't be remembered for that.

Firstly, there's the uncertainty over Nurmagomedov's status before potential sanctions are announced. It's up in the air whether he'll even be able to fight in Nevada again.

All of that means a rematch seems a long, long way off, if it ever happens at all. [Former interim lightweight champion] Tony Ferguson looked fantastic.

"This fight took place within the octagon".

Khabib took McGregor down to the ground and unleashed a flurry of punches and ultimately made him tap out in the fourth round.

The undefeated Russian has previously spoken of a "legacy" fight against Saint-Pierre - with the pair sharing a high degree of mutual respect. Nurmagomedov could face fines or suspensions for his role in the incident, White said. "We had two [security] meetings tonight, one of them two fights before the main event". You know he scaled that thing like he was a parkour guy.

Meanwhile, Nurmagomedov's father and coach, Abdulmanap, said his son's action were unacceptable.

This is perhaps the most obvious next step for McGregor.

The Irishman has said he would gladly give Diaz the trilogy, given he got his own shot at a rematch.

White added: 'I think they should take $250,000 (£190,000) from him, ' White said. It released McGregor's $3 million check, but has chose to file a complaint against him too after further review.

Related news