Vikings' Griffen getting mental health evaluation

Vikings' Griffen getting mental health evaluation

Vikings' Griffen getting mental health evaluation

Vikings executive director of player development and legal Les Pico told Minnestrista Police that Griffen hadn't been himself for weeks, so the team sent the player and his agent a letter Thursday informing him he wasn't allowed back at the team's facility until he underwent a mental health evaluation, ESPN's Courtney Cronin reports.

According to KSTP-TV, which cited police records from an incident Saturday afternoon, a person at Hotel Ivy was verbally threatening to shoot someone.

According to a report from Josina Anderson of ESPN, Griffen was in a hospital being evaluated after the incident in question. Because he hadn't threatened to harm himself or others at that point, Griffen couldn't be forcibly brought to a mental health facility.

Mike Zimmer was predictably tight-lipped about the situation, but some concerning details surrounding Griffen's absence have begun to emerge, involving a freaky incident with a gun at a Minneapolis hotel.

"We are aware of the situation involving Everson Griffen and certainly concerned by what we have heard", Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said in a statement.

"We have a very, very good support program, and our owners do an unbelievable job of giving players all the resources that they need", Zimmer said.

Griffen, 30, didn't practice Monday, and Vikings head coach Mike Zimmer said Tuesday he was ruled out of Thurday's game against the Rams.

Griffen has gone to the Pro Bowl three consecutive seasons. He told police that "Everson was acting insane and he was risky", according to a report filed Saturday by Minnetrista police officer Justin Thompson.

In this August 11 photo, Minnesota Vikings defensive end Everson Griffen watches during the first half of an NFL football game against the Denver Broncos, in Denver. The chance to count on him in game time.

Griffen then drove to the Lake Minnetonka area and reportedly tried to enter the home of Trae Waynes, a teammate, according to the Minnetrista police report.

Griffen did not play in the Vikings' 27-6 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, and the team said that he is banned from practice until he has a mental health evaluation.

Police called to the scene said they found Griffen walking along the side of the road with his hands up in the air.

Griffen, who was selected in the fourth round of the National Football League draft by the Vikings in 2010, was arrested twice in three days in Los Angeles in 2011.

"He's always been a really, really good model for us, and obviously he's going through some tough times right now", the coach added. He signed a four-year, $58 million contract extension in 2017.

Related news