North Korea slams ‘cancerous’ United States demands after nuclear talks with Mike Pompeo

North Korea slams ‘cancerous’ United States demands after nuclear talks with Mike Pompeo

North Korea slams ‘cancerous’ United States demands after nuclear talks with Mike Pompeo

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was ensconced in an elegant Pyongyang guest house for a second day of talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's right-hand man Kim Yong Chol.

Pompeo added that the USA and world powers would maintain economic sanctions against North Korea until full denuclearization was achieved.

The statement, by an unnamed foreign ministry official, was in sharp contrast with the account given by Mr Pompeo as he left North Korea for Japan just hours before.

"These are complicated issues but we made progress on nearly all the central issues", the Secretary of State said.

He said the key to Vietnam's rise was post-Vietnam War engagement with the United States, which began in 1985, when the countries started working together to repatriate remains of USA service members lost in Vietnam. "But this expectation and hope of ours was so naive as to be gullible", the statement said.

In an unexpectedly negative statement on Saturday, Pyongyang said that America had betrayed the spirit of last month's summit between US President Donald Trump and Mr Kim.

On Saturday, Pompeo said he spent "a good deal of time" in the latest talks discussing a denuclearisation timeline and the declaration of the North's nuclear and missile facilities.

"Director Kim, I slept just fine", Pompeo responded.

North Korean officials, however, said some of the issues the USA raised were the same issues that sank previous talks of denuclearization. The North Korean delegation was led by Kim Yong-chol, a senior aide to the country's leader. Two days of talks with senior North Korean officials had 'made progress, ' he said, and included a 'detailed and substantive discussion about the next steps'.

North Korea's latest comments, which came after Pompeo said talks had made progress, are a reminder of the difficulties that previous USA administrations have had negotiating with the reclusive Stalinist state and suggest that Pyongyang may not agree to any rapid denuclearisation.

At the beginning of the meeting, Kim Yong Chol said both sides held "a very serious discussion on very important matters yesterday".

Nauert's confirmation comes after Pompeo was rather coy about the alleged gift when reporters asked him about it upon arriving to North Korea on Friday.

Officials from the two sides would meet next week in Panmunjom, on the border between the two Koreas, to discuss the return of the remains of the some 7,000 USA soldiers still listed as missing in action since the 1950-53 Korean War.

"The North Koreans. understand that President Trump needs a win; he needs to have a good story coming out of his high-risk diplomacy with North Korea going into his delicate and maybe-highly charged negotiations with the Europeans and the Russians next week", she added.

Before he left Pyongyang, Pompeo said United States negotiators and their North Korean counterparts discussed the idea of a full declaration of North Korean weapons of mass destruction stockpiles, and setting a timeline for giving them up.

However, Pompeo said the progress achieved thus far did not warrant any concessions.

He said: "I'm counting on Chairman Kim to be determined to follow through on the commitment that he made". And that process will begin to develop over the days that followed.

Yet three weeks later, the two sides were still divided on all the issues, including exactly what denuclearization means and how it might be verified.

Pyongyang's criticism of the meeting with the secretary of state was at odds with Pompeo's initial assessment that the talks over denuclearization were productive.

Talks will also cover the possibility of recovering the remains of USA troops missing from the Korean War.

Related news