First person removed from Thai cave on second day of rescue mission

First person removed from Thai cave on second day of rescue mission

First person removed from Thai cave on second day of rescue mission

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop this morning said lessons from the initial effort would be applied as two more groups of four are brought out of the cave. "We can't visit our boys in hospital because they need to be monitored for 48 hours", Somboon told Reuters.

The team of 18 divers entering the cave have budgeted 11 hours for each rescue attempt to get the boys out-five hours to get there and six hours to get the boys out, with a one-hour rest. Early Friday, a former Thai Navy SEAL diver died after losing consciousness while returning from placing air tanks deep inside the caves.

He said the boys rescued Sunday are strong and safe but need to undergo detailed medical checks.

Thailand's Meteorological Department said there was a 60 per cent chance of rain with more thunderstorms forecast throughout the week.

A group of divers and Thai Navy SEALs rescued the four boys on Sunday in ten minutes less than they had practiced beforehand in what was called a "smooth operation" by Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osotthanakorn.

The "Wild Boars" soccer team and their coach got trapped on June 23 when they set out to explore the vast cave complex after soccer practice, when a rainy season downpour flooded the tunnels.

A total of four ambulances have left the area around the flooded cave in northern Thailand where members of a youth soccer team have been trapped for more than two weeks, suggesting eight of the 13 trapped people have now been extracted.

A helicopter flew the four boys to the nearby city of Chiang Rai, where they were taken by ambulance to hospital. Two divers accompanied each of the boys, all of whom have been learning to dive only since July 2, when searchers found them.

"The teams here are happy the boys are being rescued but also anxious about the severity of the boys' conditions".

A relative of one member of the soccer team said that the boys' families had agreed to remain at the cave until all of the boys and the coach are brought out.

He added that he is sending engineers from two of his companies, SpaceX and The Boring Company, to travel to Thailand to offer further assistance.

The journey through the snaking cave system is highly unsafe, as the death of a former Thai navy diver on Friday proved.

Authorities have not confirmed the identity of the first four boys freed. Rescuers have been racing against the clock to beat the next downpour, which could make the operation much more hard.

Cave rescue experts consider an underwater escape to be a last resort, especially with people untrained in diving.

But with oxygen levels inside dropping to risky lows and the prospect of heavy rains flooding the area completely, authorities decided they had to move quickly, and take the group out through the water-filled tunnels.

When a pair of expert cave divers from the United Kingdom discovered the 12 players and their coach huddled together on a dry slab of rock, there was joy and elation, but also unease as it became clear just how hard it would be to bring them all out.

Related news