Can Afghan Armistice Open Door for Peace Talks?

Can Afghan Armistice Open Door for Peace Talks?

Can Afghan Armistice Open Door for Peace Talks?

A breakaway Taliban group has declared a truce with the Afghan government, following news last week that Kabul would stand down its offensive operations against insurgents at the end of Ramadan through the Eid al-Fitr holiday.

On Saturday, the Taliban outfit announced a three-day ceasefire with the Afghan government during Eid al-Fitr religious festival holidays.

He said the government had announced the ceasefire with the Taliban only and Afghan forces should be careful about activities of other militant groups.

Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid in an interview with a local Afghan Radio station, Spogmai Radio, said this is not the first time the group called a pause in fighting.

However, U.S. -led North Atlantic Treaty Organisation forces are exempt from the ceasefire, with the Taliban saying they would continue to attack "foreign invaders", the Wall Street Journal reported.

At least 41 people were killed and 14 others injured in separate violent attacks across two Afghan provinces, authorities said on Monday.

Meanwhile, in northern Sari Pul, at least six public protection forces were killed after a checkpoint came under an attack by Taliban fighters, said Zabi Amani, spokesman for the provincial governor.

"There are about 200, more will be joining soon and they will be here for training and support".

"It is a good move by the government and Taliban". "We hope trust is built on both sides for the extension of the cease-fire for peace talks and negotiations".

Last month, eight people were killed and 45 were wounded in a bomb attack on Ramadan night-time cricket tournament.

The statement added that the leadership of the Taliban may also consider releasing prisoners of war, if they promise not to return to the battlefield. One of several factions that have broken away from the Taliban's core, known as the Quetta Shura, the Rasul group is mainly active in southern and western Afghanistan.

There was no immediate response to the Taliban's statement from the USA military, which has a dual mission to support Afghan troops against the Taliban and, separately, conduct counterterrorism operations against extremists associated with the Islamic State and Al Qaeda.

"The PML-N government had played a pivotal role in initiating steps for peace in Afghanistan, including hosting the first ever direct, face-to-face talks between the Afghan government and Afghan Taliban in Murree in July 2015".

U.S. General John Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan and NATO-led Resolute Support mission, said the coalition forces will also honor the cease-fire.

Related news