A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

A day after killings, uneasy calm prevails in Kashmir

An Indian police officer guards a street after calls for a shutdown.

A day after at least 20 people were killed in a search operation in the Indian-occupied Kashmir, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) tabled a resolution in the Punjab Assembly, condemning the brutalities being conducted by the Indian forces in the held valley.

As a precautionary measure, internet services have been suspended in parts of the Valley. The police said that surging crowds resorted to heavy stone-pelting on security forces "compelling them to use force". "New phase in the Kashmiris' struggle for right to self-determination is inspired by legendary valour of Burhran Wani". At the meeting, the group formally adopted a resolution that condemned the actions of the Indian security forces and requested United Nations intervention, including a fact-finding mission by the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights.

Hundreds of Pakistanis also rallied Monday in the port city of Karachi against India and condemned the killings in Kashmir. Locals, however, said that the number of those hurt was higher.

"At about 10:10 PM, 4 militants who are believed to be affiliated with LeT, barged into the house of Farooq Ah Parrey R/O Par Mohalla Hajin and without caring about the life and dignity of the inmates, fired indiscriminately inside the house", a police spokesman in a statement issued here had said.

Past year was the deadliest of the current decade in the disputed Kashmir region, with more than 200 militants killed in a counter-insurgency offensive dubbed "Operation All Out".

"In the retaliatory fire, a militant identified as Rouf Khanday was killed while another was captured", he said.

The area residents said soldiers had blasted several civilian homes with explosives while fighting the suspected militants.

Another militant was killed in Dialgam village in Anantnag district, about 60 km (37 miles) south of Srinagar, while one was caught alive, he said.

Three soldiers were killed and at least six police and soldiers were wounded, Vaid said.

A large majority of civilians in Kashmir - India's only Muslim-majority state - support the freedom fighters who have been fighting for decades for independence or for a merger with Pakistan.

Nuclear-armed India and Pakistan each administer part of Kashmir, but both claim it in its entirety.

Anti-India sentiment runs deep in Kashmir, which in recent years has seen renewed rebel attacks and repeated public protests against Indian rule. Rebels are demanding the region be made part of Pakistan or become an independent country.

Related news