Civilians fleeing Syria's Eastern Ghouta attacked

Civilians fleeing Syria's Eastern Ghouta attacked

Civilians fleeing Syria's Eastern Ghouta attacked

For eastern Ghouta's civilians, trapped in underground shelters but deprived of food and water, there is a constant dilemma - whether to seek supplies or stay inside.

The observatory said at least 60 people in the rebel enclave were left struggling to breathe after airstrikes and barrel bombs hit the towns of Saqba and Hammuriyeh.

The civilians' evacuation from the rebel-held areas in Eastern Ghouta is an essential part of the Russian-backed daily humanitarian pause, which has so far seen the evacuation of only a few civilians from Eastern Ghouta.

Continued air strikes by Syrian regime forces have killed at least 19 civilians in the besieged enclave of eastern Ghouta even as the United Nations body for children raised concerns over blocked delivery of aid to the war-torn region.

We review key events in Syria, including an aid convoy entering Eastern Ghouta, a significant increase in attacks on healthcare facilities and a week of clashes between opposition groups in the northwest.

"The U.N. remains ready to deliver assistance to all people in need in Duma, other areas in east Ghouta and other hard-to-reach and besieged areas as soon as conditions allow", she said.

A Douma resident, in a voice message over which the sounds of loud explosions were audible, said four jets were in the sky and residential areas had come under air attack.

The government and its Russian backers, determined to wrest eastern Ghouta from rebel control after seven years of war, recently intensified the shelling and bombardment to clear the way for its troops to advance on the ground. Shortly after, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad imposed a siege on the area, home to some 400,000 people.

"The situation is relatively good today".

United Nations aid workers have said that trauma treatment kits and surgical supplies are often removed from convoys by Syrian forces because they may be used to treat wounded rebels, Reuters reported.

Following the Human Rights Council's recent decision to investigate on the causes and scale of the horrifying death toll in Ghouta, Great Britain presented a resolution that indicated the absence of sustainable humanitarian aid in the region, as well as the recent use of chemical weapons.

"Entire families eat one meal in several days", he said.

Syrian government forces also withheld badly needed medical supplies from the aid delivery before the convoy passed into rebel-controlled territory, Syria Direct reported at the time.

Turkey's foreign minister says his government hopes that a cross-border military offensive in a Syrian Kurdish-held enclave will end before May.

Turkey launched the assault into the enclave on January 20 to drive out Syrian Kurdish fighters that Ankara considers to be a security threat due to their links to outlawed rebels in Turkey.

Related news