Beware risky fads: kids are eating Tide Pods

Beware risky fads: kids are eating Tide Pods

Beware risky fads: kids are eating Tide Pods

The "Tide Pod Challenge" is where teens are taking videos of themselves eating laundry detergent pods for likes and shares on social media.

YouTube is cracking down on a risky new online trend where teens put poisonous laundry gel pods in their mouths, and then eat them like candy.

In a statement, the video-streaming service said its community guidelines prohibit content that encourages unsafe activities that have a risk of causing physical harm. Procter & Gamble, which owns the Tide brand - and whose clout as an online advertiser is significant - had already said that it was pressing social platforms to remove the videos.

"The "laundry packet challenge" is neither amusing nor without serious health implications", said Stephen Kaminski, JD, AAPCC's CEO and Executive Director. Now Google has stepped up its efforts, saying that it is actively removing videos portraying the potentially risky action.

'They should not be played with, whatever the circumstance is, even if it is meant as a joke'.

A Wichita donut chain used the latest social media stunt, called the Tide Pod challenge, to promote a new kind of donut Wednesday. "DOING LAUNDRY. Nothing else".

Ingestion of highly concentrated, toxic detergent products can cause serious injury, CASD said, citing the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The viral videos are just one of a series of scandals facing YouTube and its content creators, such as Logan Paul, which has spurred Google into action through the restriction of advertising revenue.

Tide is not widely available in Australia but the product in the challenge is similar to others available on Australian supermarket shelves.

The health implications from eating laundry packets are serous.

"I want to go on the record as saying they are 100-percent toxin-free", the co-owner said.

Last year, U.S. poison control centres received reports of more than 10,500 children younger than 5 who were exposed to the capsules.

At least 10 deaths have been linked to ingesting these pods in the past.

Related news