Jaish attacks BSF HQ, ASI, 3 terrorists killed

Jaish attacks BSF HQ, ASI, 3 terrorists killed

Jaish attacks BSF HQ, ASI, 3 terrorists killed

Three suicide attackers carrying a massive arsenal of guns and explosives had broken into the base near the Srinagar airport before dawn on Tuesday and opened fire leaving one soldier dead before they were killed after a 10-hour gunbattle.

Reports said that three armed militants managed to sneak into highly fortified BSF camp at Humhama at around 4:15 in the morning.

He said that as the terrorists entered the BSF camp's administrative block, they were immediately surrounded by the security forces and thereafter a fierce encounter followed.

India says Pakistan initiates cross-border firing to help rebels cross into Indian-administered Kashmir to launch attacks. He told reporters the group was a threat "because they believe in surprise suicide attacks".

One Indian security official was also killed during the attack and three officers were wounded, Kashmir police chief Muneer Khan told Reuters.

"So long our friendly neighbour does not behave, I think we will expect we will have many more (such attacks)", said Sharma without naming Pakistan. The toll, however, could have been much higher if the terrorists, who were from the Jaish-e-Mohammed group, had not be eliminated so quickly.

The disputed Kashmir region is divided between Pakistan and India, but claimed by both in its entirety.

Sharma said they receive information about possible fidayeen attacks on security force camps from intelligence agencies. By that time the Rashtriya Rifles, SOG (Special Operations Group) and CRPF also joined the operation.

Two children were killed Monday during an exchange of gunfire between Indian and Pakistani troops, Indian authorities said. The identity is yet to ascertained, director general of police S.P. Vaid said.

Sharma said, "this timely detection" prevented a major catastrophe.

The fire fight, which went on for almost ten hours, ended in the afternoon after the last militant, who had holed up in the BSF camp, was shot dead. Security forces initially asked the militant to surrender.

Related news