3 militants, 2 civilians killed in Indian-controlled Kashmir gunfight

The gunfight between militants and government forces broke out Friday morning at village Aarwani of Anantnag district, about 46 km south of Srinagar city, the summer capital of Indian-controlled Kashmir.

"The body of a terrorist has been recovered from debris in Arwani village encounter site in south Kashmir, while search is on for others", a police official said.

During the encounter, a large number of villagers gathered around the cordoned area, shouting slogans and throwing stones on the security personnel in a bid to run over the encounter site to help the hold-up terrorists escape.

Senior police officer S.P. Pani said militants sprayed gunfire at the police vehicle in the southern Achabal area.

The bodies were recovered by a troop of 90 Battalion Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Special Operation Group (SOG) and Rashtriya Rifles.

Officials say dozens of youth have joined the freedom fighters since last July after a popular freedom leader was killed by security forces, sparking months of wide-scale protests in the territory. Lashkar-e-Tayyeba (LeT) has claimed responsibility for the attack. The incident took place this evening when Feroz Ahmed, a 2010 batch Sub-Inspector, was on his way to the police station at Achabal after completing his duty in Anantnag. The three were hiding inside a house in Anantnag's Arwani village. Two civilians were also injured in the attack.

Two suspected militants were also killed in the shootout, the officer said.

Kashmiri protesters clash with Indian policemen in Srinagar, Indian controlled Kashmir, Friday, June 16, 2017.

As a result of the casualties, the separatists called for a protest shutdown and authorities imposed section 144 in south Kashmir.

Meanwhile, Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti said that the policemen were killed because democracy is denied in Jammu and Kashmir.

It was not immediately known why the militants targeted the civilian, he said.

As per reports, a 22-year-old civilian identified as Mohammad Ashraf Khar was killed and 59 civilians got injured in the clashes.

Soon after the encounter started train services between Baramullah and Banihal were suspended and all the exams scheduled on June 17, in wake of the strike, have been postponed.

Related news